Thursday, November 8, 2007

It has been a Journey... I'm Employed!!

I've been here for 4 weeks now...... Been to about 13 or so interviews...... Some more than once but it's been a process I tell ya.

The funnest one had to be for an Advertising Company - there was a basketball court in the middle of the building, people could bring their dogs to work, there was an artificial forest inside with the sound of crickets churping, people road scooters all around the building, etc.

The weirdest one was for a Media Company - there was a huge swing in the middle of the office, a cobra snake dangling from a branch in a huge cage...

But it was definitely a learning experience - each interview prepared me for the next. I can now answer every question you could ask without even thinking :)

I was recently offered an Administrative Assistant position at the RAND Corporation in Santa Monica (which is where it's HeadQuarters are). I heard of the company thru Bill's brother (Greg) who lives down here. It was one of the first interviews I had scheduled before arriving down here.. I came the first day and was tested on the computer.. wasn't sure if I passed it but I did. And then came to 4 additional interviews after that. Met one lady. Met two more ladies. Met a lion, a tiger, and a bear. And lastly met all 4 people I'd be supporting. They are really nice people - all of them have been there for many years. I start Monday... will be working full time... and will be getting some good experience under my belt! It's a block from the beach too!! I love the city already.

Here is a description/pictures of the company:

For nearly 60 years, the RAND Corporation has pursued its nonprofit mission by conducting research on important and complicated problems. Initially, RAND focused on issues of national security. Eventually, RAND expanded its intellectual reserves to offer insight into other areas, such as business, education health, law, and science. RAND's innovative approach to problem solving has become the benchmark for all other "think tanks" that followed.







I'll keep you updated on how everything is going.. I start on Monday!

XOXO-amy

2 comments:

courtney said...

Congrats Amy! I'm glad you landed this sweet job. Make sure you place office jokes on everyone and take some pictures of your office. Love You.

Anonymous said...

I am really glad you have found a good job. What an opportunity. Be sure to have a little fun with all the new tensions coming on. Say hi to Greg and Karen for me. mom xo